Dear students and parents,
Welcome back to school! I hope each of you had a summer filled with great experiences and positive memories. During the summer, Federal Way High School staff have attended many workshops and professional development opportunities to constantly improve our curriculum and instruction.
Programs and courses: Some of the programs that are available at Federal Way High School are: Construction Pre-Apprenticeship Program, Pro-Start Culinary Program, Coding / Game Design and computer science courses, and Air Force JROTC. In addition, we are an AVID National School of Distinction, AVID National Demonstration School, and a Cambridge International School Demonstration Center.
Student achievements: As the start of the 2023-24 school year begins, I would like parents and students to be aware of and proud of the accomplishments completed last year and to challenge this year’s students to achieve even more.
Federal Way High School had many wins and triumphs last year, some of them were:
- Nine valedictorians with a perfect cumulative 4.0 GPA completing the most challenging courses offered;
- Multiple athletic scholarships in Baseball, Basketball, Track, Cheer, Soccer, Volleyball, and Football;
- Girls Golf Team earned the State Academic Championship with a 3.938 team GPA;
- A Special Olympics Basketball State Champion;
- Three State Champions in Boys and Girls Track;
- Boys Track Team earned a State Championship;
- Girls Track Team earned a 3rd place in State;
- Boys Basketball Team earned a 3rd place in State;
- The Federal Way Mirror Athlete of the Year;
- One State Champion in Speech and Debate;
- Band earned an “Excellence” rating at the Valley Region Band Contest;
- Orchestra earned a “Superior” rating at the Valley Region Band Contest;
- All of the AVID senior class was accepted to a university, college, or secondary institution;
- Federal Way High School was also re-certified as an AVID National Demonstration School and is also an AVID National Site of Distinction;
- Eight students are Cambridge AICE Diploma candidates;
- Federal Way High School is also a Cambridge International School Demonstration Center; and
- The Class of 2023 received over $5.5 million dollars in total grants and scholarships
We are looking forward to another great year.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Federal Way High School is a great school!
Dr. Matt Oberst